Activities Group News: Community Engagement | Housing | Downtown Lakewood | Safety

Community Engagement News


Monday, June 14, 2010


Newsweek Names Lakewood Top High School!


Newsweek Names Lakewood One of Top Ten High Schools in Ohio!

Methodology

The Newsweek List

Lakewood High School is a public high school located in Lakewood, Ohio, west of Cleveland. The school colors are purple and gold. The mascot is the Ranger Man. The school is currently a member of the Northeast Ohio Conference. During the past years, many improvements have been made in the physical plant of the school. Improvements have included the planetarium, reading center, improved academic classrooms and offices, a 25 yard pool with separate diving well and natatorium, new cafeterias, a horticulture laboratory, an enlarged library, five computer labs, additional physical educational facilities, and extensive vocational program facilities.

A building addition, referred to as "the New Building" was completed in 1970, and was necessary because of increased enrollment which included bringing the inclusion of the ninth grade in the high school. The most recent addition is the music wing which accommodates both the vocal and instrumental programs at the school. The school underwent renovation which started late 2007 and is now completed. The curriculum at LHS is broad and offers a wide selection of courses in technical, vocational, art, home economics, music and business as well as the regular academic fields of English, Science, Mathematics, Languages and Social Studies. Lakewood High School currently offers 12 AP courses. The school's newspaper, the Lakewood Times, won the the Pacemaker Award, in 2000 and 2001.

Share |


4 Comments:


I moved to Lakewood in '05, and am now proud to call the area my home. I especially like the diversity of the population, the beautiful neighborhoods that have so much character, and the proximity to Lake Erie. One of my children is thinking of relocating here with her young daughter. Of course, I plan on showing her this article!


I moved to Lakewood in '05, and am now proud to call the area my home. I especially like the diversity of the population, the beautiful neighborhoods that have so much character, and the proximity to Lake Erie. One of my children is thinking of relocating here with her young daughter. Of course, I plan on showing her this article!


I moved to Lakewood 28 years ago with my young son due to a Corporate transfer. I picked Lakewood because of its proximity to downtown and my ability to be home quickly. My son completed all 12 grades in public school and went on to a private university. I loved that he was able to walk to school and the rich culture that the school and community provided.


Take a look at other Cleveland Area schools and see how we match up in this list. It should make you feel proud when you see we topped places like Bay and Beachwood.


POST A COMMENT

Downtown Lakewood News Archive

© Copyright 2008, LakewoodAlive | Web Design by PromoRock